Sunday, January 9, 2011

Today's lunch: Baaaa Baa BA

lunch. I might have to rename this blog to "Today's Lunch". Well today I thought we were going to have a normal lunch of bogobe ( white porridge) morogo( still working on the spelling, but it is the native spinach) and some atchar. Boy was I wrong. For the last few days we've been having different parts of a goat they slaughtered around Christmas. Today I was informed that it was the last day we would be eating our goat friend as it was finished. Sitting on my perch next to the patriarch of the family we were presented with the head of 'the goat'. It came out gloriously and steaming. I instantly looked for the cheek , partially because it is a good piece of meat and because I've had it before. That piece was long gone. We were left with a lawless head. We gouged out the eyes , they were a bit acidic and artificial tasting. Gummy at first like a chewy candy with out the sweetness. We then moved onto the ears. The inside of the ear is wonderful. The ear itself .... Not so much - imagine a really chewy flavorless piece of edible rubber and that is what eating a goats ear is like. The piece de resistance was the brain. I had to go down to the cow corral and place the head on one of the stumps. I then took the back of a kitchen knife and gave it a few good whacks. I opened the sucker and ate a handful of.. Mmmmmmmmm steaming brains.... That was the end of the meal and even after washing my hands several times I still can't get the smell of goat brains off my hands. You are what you eat. Baa baa Ba
Michael Akshay
Michael Akshay

No comments:

Post a Comment