Friday, January 7, 2011

Looking at my pantry.

My village in Africa can be summed up in one dish, goat innards and Bogobe (white porridge). The dish is quite simple. First you need a goat. You kill the goat, no thanks for your contribution, just a dull knife to the throat. You then run that dull blade from the top of the neck to the crotch, making sure not to pierce the chest cavity below. After peeling away the skin you make a quick stab at the body releasing all of the hot air. Slowly but surely you remove all of the innards. The stomach, liver, intestines, heart and the kidneys. What ever else is floating around is usually discarded or given to a local lucky dog. My favorite process is up next removing the predigested food ( and the flavoring for our dish) out of the still warm stomach. To remove the shit out of the intestines one simply has to hold one end and pull through the clasped fingers... Leaving a mound of normal looking crap on the ground. It is quite interesting to see the evolution of shit as it passes through the system of the goat. I'd imagine seeing A lot more trash but it is mostly green. After you have cleaned out everything. You throw it all in to a pot and cook the crap out of it, nuke it. Personally I enjoy a little bit of spicy chili in mine. Some of the pre digested food is used to make a wonderful soup that only smells better after a couple hours of cooking.

It took me A few tries to enjoy ... Errr like? The dish. It is the closest thing you will get To fine cheese, taste wise, in the more rural parts of africa. I still prefer to eat it in the dark, as the shapes do sometimes freak me out. I will try everything out here at least 3 or 4 times. Why not? Its food and if they can eat it so can I. So back to looking at my pantry. I have atchar, peanut butter, beans, rice and tuna.

1 comment:

  1. ewww, i luckily haven't had to eat goat intestines yet, but had to choke down cow intestines quite a few times in Magana. I find that gross foods only need to be tried once, unless you pretend you like it so they keep serving it, not making that mistake again...

    ReplyDelete