Saturday, January 15, 2011

Have you ever seen the inside of a pit latrine? I have.

6:30 am: I hear a big old 'CRASH'. Followed by what sounds like a bunch of joyous screams.
6:31 am: I stay in bed... Despite the commotion outside.
6:34 am: my host mother swings my door open yelling something about a toilet.
6:35 am - 6:39 am: I get up, lumber around , smell my breath, decide to brush my teeth later , throw on a shirt and head out to the side yard... Where I see this... Our neighbors out house.... In the pit latrine.

Now things like this don't go unnoticed for long. In a matter of minutes we had probably half of the village at our neighbors house. Some of the women were crying, while the men kind of stood around and scratched their heads. I too scratched my head... How did the toilet end up in the put latrine? Well it looks like the concrete slab collapsed under its own weight.
We( the men) gathered around the toilet and decided to salvage it. We tied ropes and beat at its still attached base. It was actually quite effective and we ended up removing it quite fast. Oh yea if you are wondering what inside of a pit latrine? Maggots, cockroaches, jars and oh yea shit.


P.s I haven't eaten breakfast today... I might not as I was planning to have a chocolate protein shake with yogurt... Eh I might have it anyway.
Michael Akshay

No comments:

Post a Comment