Sunday, August 7, 2011

Tomato-Cabbage-onion-garlic soup. Budget. No processed carbs.

I had half of a head of cabbage that I split with a friend. I cooked up a fourth of mine and cooked the remaining three-fourths today. It was really really easy and the end result was absolutely delicious. Now I'm not blazing any paths but I am living in a rural setting... On less than $100 a month. Budget budget budget.


Cook time: 15 minutes to steam the cabbage , tomatoes, and onion. 30 minutes on simmer to reduce the water content.

Ingredients :
Soup serves 1.
Cabbage mixture serves 4 as a side dish.



1/4 of a head of cabbage
2 tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
1 small onion
2 tbs of sunflower oil
1 1/2 cup of water

For the spices I just added and tasted. Salt and paper added last
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
1/2 tbs of curry powder
2 tbs of gaaram masala
1 tbs of fine jeera ( cumin )
1tsp of tumeric

These are all suggestive I recommend eyeing what you put in.

Cut up tomatoes, onion, cabbage, and garlic. Throw into a pot with some oil and 1 cup of water. Let steam for 15 mins on high heat. Watch it and turn down heat if it gets to hot. Mix in spices and add the rest of water. Stir put a lid on it and check on it over the course of the half an hour. I drained the soup and put the cabbage mixture away to eat tomorrow as a side dish. Tasty and nutritious .

No comments:

Post a Comment